Uploading Native Files
Sunstone uses Gerber files to manufacture your PCB design. If you do not have Gerber files, you can now upload your native files, and we will convert them to CAD format.
CAD Files from Your Native Files
As an alternative to providing Gerber files for your order, we can use your Altium/Protel/IvexWinboard, EAGLE, OrCAD, or Ultiboard CAD files to generate the files required for manufacturing. To use the native files upload process, simply check the box in the order process labeled "Native File Upload" on the appropriate quoting form:
- Native file upload is not a design check service. We will generate Gerber files from your CAD data as sent with CAD application settings.
- Single-sided and double-sided boards will proceed directly to manufacture following file conversion.
- Designs of three or more layers will have review prints sent to you via email for review and approval. Please be advised that we will require an explicit approval of the review prints BEFORE we will proceed with manufacture. We recommend that the order be reviewed and approved promptly to avoid delays.
- If your order is for a multi-layer board, the files generated during native file upload will be returned for customer approval; please ensure that an internal approval process is in place for quick turnaround of boards. This review step is bypassed for double-sided orders, except as noted below for Altium DesignerWinter 09.
- Please review your native files using a Gerber/NC Drill file viewer. Your Gerber/NC Drill file viewing software will allow you to see how your completed boards will appear after using our PCBexpress quickturn service.
- If your layout requires a design change after initial CAD conversion, there is a $25 per instance charge for additional conversions due to revised or resubmitted files.
A Variety of PCB Design File Choices
With our free CAD software you have the flexibility to order PCBs directly from within the layout software or from our Sunstone website. There is no added lead-time and no native file upload cost when you submit your PCB123 file with a Sunstone Full-Feature or PCBexpress quickturn order. There is no approval process in place for multi-layer boards on PCB123.
Altium Designer & Protel Users
We can convert your Protel 99SE and DXP, and Altium Designer 6, Summer 08 and Winter 09 PCB design files to Gerbers. Please send *.pcb or *pcbdoc files. If you would like to provide *.ddb or .prjpcb files, please ensure they contain only a single .pcb or .pcbdoc file. Because we currently don't support Altium Designer Winter 09, we will send the generated Gerber files to you for final approval before starting manufacturing.
EAGLE (CadSoft) Users
Our native file upload service supports PCB design files from EAGLE versions 4.11, 4.16 and 5.4. Unfortunately, we cannot convert schematic files to layouts for you. Please note that during the file upload process it is important to specify which layer objects we should use for silkscreen and inner layers (mid-layers). If you do not specify which layers to use, we will use the following default settings for silkscreen per our CAM scripts or place your order on hold for clarification on inner layer object selection:
- Top Silkscreen: L21 & L25 (tPlace & tNames)
- Bottom Silkscreen: L22 & L26 (bPlace & bNames)
For extra convenience and peace of mind, we also provide the following CAD conversion service add-ons for EAGLE:
- CAM Job: Download and install these files to add the official Sunstone
CAM processor settings to your EAGLE installation.
- Drill Size Adjuster: Use this with ValueProto! This user language program (ULP) extension
for EAGLE automatically handles the tedious job of matching hole sizes in your
design to the Sunstone specification.
- Design Rules: Our DFM Add-Ons for EAGLE are EAGLE design for manufacturing
rules (DRU) files written in accordance with Sunstone's manufacturing criteria for
2, 4, and 6 layer designs.
National Instruments Circuit Design Suite
We can convert your Circuit Design Suite (Ultiboard) .ewprj PCB design files to Gerbers. Unfortunately, we cannot convert schematic files to layouts for you. Please note that during the upload process it is important to specify which layer objects we should use for silkscreen and inner layers (mid-layer).
We can convert your OrCAD .max CAD files to Gerbers. Since OrCAD Layout is not longer actively supported by Cadence Design Systems, we suggest you try our no cost design software, PCB123 and take advantage of the tool’s synchronized layout and schematic editing functions, as well as the 500,000 available parts definitions, and our 24/7/365 live technical support. Still like OrCAD Schematic? PCB123 will import your OrCAD schematic files and take you straight to layout design.
Ivex Winboard Users
Since Ivex is no longer in business we recommend customers try our no cost Design Software, PCB123 and take advantage of our 24/7 support and award-winning innovations. Ivex files are mirrored by default when created. If you choose to do a CAD conversion of the Ivex board file yourself, prior to file submission, it is advised to place "right reading" text somewhere on the top layer and name the file extensions names *.L1, *.L2 etc., for proper orientation. NOTE: If there is no text on the layers, they will be run "as sent."